Thursday 29 October 2009

The Baldy Notion loves... Bolst's Curry Powder


Rarely have I found a prepared ingredient as pure as Bolst's Curry Powder. This is truly an ingredient straight from the days of the Raj when the Empire stained most of the world's map pink and I have no doubt that it is unchanged since then. Whenever I use it I can't help imagining that the factory in Bangalore is unchanged and still pulverises sacks of dry spices using giant victorian crushing mills run by old men with white raj moustaches and turbans. The tins are a design classic and retain a beautiful packaging simplicity which again harks back to a bygone era. Yellow and blue for mild and orange and blue for hot and believe me it does exactly what it says on the tin. Hot means hot and I can take a curry, squire - use it with respect and resist the temptation to add "one for the pot".

The mild powder is the tin of my choice when I fancy knocking together a mid-week spice-fix. It is very aromatic and far from mild - retaining just the right amount of kick without bringing a tear to the eye. It contains coriander, cumin, black mustad seeds, dried red chillies, black pepper, turmeric, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves - the fenugreek really gives it that characteristic "curry smell" and lends itself to homemade curries beautifully (you know, 70's style with bits of fruit in and a chutney on the side). I personally love to use this when I make my Can't Tell It Apart From A Restaurant Korma which I will post next.

Available from all good Asian food stores in a variety of sizes. Buy a big tin, you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment